December 17, 2012

Who Is Your Leper?

27 dead in Connecticut including 20 children. 3 children under 5 apparently killed by their mother 2 weeks ago. A 15 year old commits suicide in my sons school last week.

Many believers and critics of Christianity will ask "Where are you God? Why do you allow this evil to take place?".

I recently reread a classic debate between an atheist professor and his Christian student (not sure of the authenticity of the confrontation). The student responds to the professors question about why God allows evil with the definition of evil as the absence of love.

Absence of love. Are we saying the perpetrators have an absence of love? And if it is, why would they feel a lack of love?

Do "WE" really know what it means to show love?

This is the time of year when the heartstrings are played and we feel obliged to give financially to various organizations that allow them to work with the needy. Very important and worthy causes that work to provide the physical needs. But is that what showing love is?

The tragedies in the past few weeks would not have been avoided with more money in those organizations. These were all examples of people who were "normal" by everyday standards. These are people we would call our friends and neighbors who were not experiencing love.

So how do we show love? Follow the example laid before us.


Matthew 8:1-3

When Jesus came down from the mountainside, large crowds followed him. A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, “Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.”
Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!”Immediately he was cleansed of his leprosy.



Before I continue, let me give full credit to Max Lucado and his book 'Just Like Jesus'.  He wrote a whole chapter telling the 3 verses from the eyes of the leper (you can read a free copy by following the link).  In the chapter, we get the understanding of just how much of an outcast a leper was.  How 'unclean' he was considered by society.  The requirement for him to wear a bell so everyone would know he was coming.  How long it had been that he had seen his family.  The ache he felt for what you and I take for granted every day, human contact.  And yet, Jesus touched him.

In touching the leper, Jesus showed him love that he had not experienced for years.  The handouts and beggars' wages helped him live, but never showed him love.

We don't have lepers today but we do have outcasts.  And while we don't outwardly like to admit it, we shun them just as badly as we used to shun lepers.  

One such group are those who struggle with mental illness, predominately depression.  And while I don't know if this was a factor in the tragedies described earlier, I suspect this to be the case.

I know many people who struggle with depression.  Neighbors, multiple family members, close friends, members of our church, co-workers who disappear for 'health reasons', a colleague I recommended for a job who attempted suicide 3 days after starting, and more close to home, my own son.  

And yet, I don't understand it.  I don't understand why it happens.  I don't understand how to make it better.  And because of my lack of understanding, my 'comfortable' reaction is to avoid the situation and sometimes, the person.  And then they become the leper.  Which is the worst thing you can do with someone already struggling with issues of self-worth.  We need to touch them, we need to love them.  Then there will be less sad stories filling a season that should be full of joy.  

Jesus came to earth to live as us.  To show us how we are to live and to give us a glimpse into what we have waiting for us.  

This is the season to follow the example laid before us.  Show love to your leper.

Who do you need to show love to today?
__________________________________________________


Thank you for taking the time to read one of the many 'Wandering Thoughts' that God has been putting on my heart.  If this has touched you in anyway, I would love to hear from you.  You can leave a comment below, share your own personal revelations or send me a personal message on Google+.

May you be blessed today.  

4 comments:

  1. So true Peter. Love is the only cure for the pain in this world. Honestly I see events like this as more firm proof of evil rather than a counter for God.
    I have no doubt some of my friends will come up with a reason why this was caused by religion and perhaps there were some religious people at some step of the events who could have intervened.
    I hope that in some story I will be able to show love and prevent some tragedy in someone's life, though no one will probably ever hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Chris. The greatest stories are the ones that don't make the news feeds. As I'm responding, I'm listening to 'My Own Little World' on K-Love. So many positive influences around us, we just need to put the thoughts into action.

      Delete
  2. Hi Peter it seems that I catch your stories just at the right time.They seem to come to me just when I need the encouragement most. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how that happens? Blessings to you LR.

      Delete