December 07, 2012

Uncomfortably Comfortable

laying down
Am I comfortable?

I was recently challenged by the thought that when I become complacent in my life, work and/or spiritual life, I am probably not doing what I was called to do.  

A prime example of this came about when I made the life-saving decision to follow Jesus.  Prior to the decision, I had been living a very comfortable life.  Both my wife and I had good jobs, were healthy, living in a very nice home and surrounded by friends and family.  However, something was missing.  We were comfortable but we were also uncomfortable.  Uncomfortably Comfortable?

Many of us live life like this.  We adapt to our surroundings rather than living a life true to our fundamental beliefs.  We do things that our friends are doing because we don't want to be seen as the 'stick in the mud'.  We watch shows that we wouldn't want our kids watching.  We download music or movies without paying while we would never steal from our friends.  We laugh at jokes that everyone is laughing at.  We spend a little too much time at the water cooler listening for the story that we can share.  We bring home office supplies from work.  We hide behind our horn in our car as we impatiently try to get to our destination as quickly as possible.  

And the truly sad part is, we attempt to justify our actions, just like some of you are doing right now!  I know I do!

Being 'uncomfortably comfortable' is not just a sensation specific to non-Christians.  In fact, I would argue that this is where most of us find ourselves every day.

As a Christian, I have spent most of my time living a comfortable life.  Doing activities I wanted to do.  Helping others when it was convenient to me.  Speaking to others about my faith with people who wanted to talk about it, not with those who need to hear it.  Tithing only what I was required to rather than with joy and celebration.  Fitting in with my non-Christian friends.  Uncomfortably Comfortable.  

When I became a Christian many years ago, a fire was awakened in me to share my story with others.  The sharing was uncomfortable, but I was comfortable in knowing that this is what I had been called to do.  Comfortably Uncomfortable.  

There are multiple examples in the Bible where people are put in uncomfortable situations but because they were obedient to their calling, they were successful.  Names like Noah, Moses, Abraham, Rahab and Job all come to mind.  

The disciples ran into this problem all the time and were not always successful.
Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “ Couldn't you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:40-41 (NIV)
How difficult is it to stay awake and pray?  I've tried unsuccessfully and I have a lot of respect for those people who commit to waking and praying in the middle of the night to pray for a worthy cause.  And I don't believe the disciples chose to fall asleep.  If I had been with the disciples, I would have found a comfortable position to pray - say sitting and leaning against a tree - and that would have led to sleep.  

Our challenge is to make decisions based on kingdom comfort rather than personal comfort.  Sometimes those decisions are going to be inconvenient.  For the disciples, if they had prayed out loud while standing or walking, I doubt very much they would have fallen asleep.  We need the Holy Spirit's guidance to discern decisions between kingdom comfort and personal comfort.  

A few months ago, I awoke in the middle of the night with a very clear vision of what I had to do.  But I didn't want to do it.  I wrestled with it.  I spoke to God about it.  I wasn't getting any sleep and I was extremely tired.  It was only after I said yes, that I was able to sleep again.  The next day, I followed through with my commitment (see From The Inside Out) and although I was very uncomfortable about it, I was comfortable in knowing that this was God's plan, and not mine.  I was Comfortably Uncomfortable.  

I wish I could say that I live every moment being Comfortably Uncomfortable, but every day is a new day.  I must daily surrender my desires and ask what His desires are.  I must daily look at my decisions as a choice of personal comfort or kingdom comfort.  

And every day is made up of thousands of moments.  Each moment is a chance to choose uncomfortable over comfortable.  

This fall, my son was playing football in their first playoff game.  They had finished in first place and the team they were playing was not going down without a fight.  It was a back and forth battle that was a lot of fun to watch, but nerve-wracking at the same time.  Not far from us was an extremely vocal and physically huge cheerleader for the opposition.  In the 3rd quarter, a play unfolded that resulted in an opposition player performing a flagrant foul that could have been very dangerous against one of our players.  

Our side of cheerleaders exploded, and without thinking, I loudly accused the opposition cheerleader of dangerous coaching habits.  

Have you ever have one of those moments where you ask, was that me?  

Remember that I said he was huge?  Goliath like huge.  He came directly at me, a women sitting beside me quickly jumped from her seat to get out of the way.  Pointing his finger, talking loudly and extremely upset.  Thankfully, others intercepted him.  And all the while, I sat there frozen.   

Part of me felt vindicated.  I was wholly right.  It was extremely dangerous and we were lucky our player wasn't badly hurt.  Comfortable.

Another part of me was in shock.  Who just said that?  Why did I say that?  Nobody would ever coach their kids like that!  How was my behavior "Jesus-like"?  Uncomfortable.

As I said earlier, every moment of every day provides opportunities for us to choose kingdom comfort over personal comfort.  To show love for others before showing love for ourselves.   It doesn't need to be a big incident or decision.  It can be at the grocery store and allowing someone else first when they clearly weren't.  It can be stopping to talk to someone in the park when you are running late.  It can be choosing not to hit the horn at the light.  It can be as simple as going to bed with your spouse because they like going to bed together.  

But occasionally I have the tough decision between discomfort versus comfort.  Am I going to be comfortably uncomfortable or uncomfortably comfortable?  

For me that day at the football game, I chose comfortably uncomfortable.  I prayed to God and asked for forgiveness.  I then went and apologized to the opposition cheerleader who turned out to be a great guy.  I then apologized to those around me who heard my outburst.  I was humbled by how truly weak we are in the flesh.    

I know my every action is based on a personal choice.  I must strive every day for that Comfortable feeling of being Uncomfortable.  

Are you comfortable?


__________________________________________________

Thank you for taking the time to read one of the many 'Wandering Thoughts' that God has been putting on my heart.  If this has touched you in anyway, I would love to hear from you.  You can leave a comment below and share your own personal revelations; or send me a personal message on Google+ or Facebook.

May you be blessed today.  

4 comments:

  1. I love writings that make me think about the status of my heart and willingness before God. That's a ministry in itself. Keep blogging, sir; I was blessed by this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, your words are very kind and encouraging.

      Delete
    2. I do know what you mean, however I have never really got to the bottom of it...I have had it prophesied over my life soooo many times that I have a calling to women...When I have started things in this area...I have never felt really comfortable. Not that I don't want to do it, I really do, cant wait in fact...but whether the timing, the area or something is not right....I have this feeling a lot...I have thought about leaving it, but then I think I am not comfortable with this thought either.... so yes I know what you mean.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Marianne. Many situations bring us to the point. Sounds like you know your calling, so stay focused on that!

      Delete