January 09, 2013

Stepping Out Into The Storm

When I was a child, I used to get excited by storms.  I loved living through them.  The rain, the wind, the thunder and especially the lightning. The immense power displayed was amazing.  And if I could step outside into the storm, I would.

The storms in my life, not so much.

The first storm in my life would have been the day my mother told my sister and I that we were looking for a new home - without my father.  I remember the conversation vividly.  And now 35 years later, I realize it was the start of a storm in my life.

What constitutes a storm?

My definition would be anything that you can't control that WILL affect the way you will live the rest of your life.

Being male, admitting that I am unable to control something is not in my vocabulary.  As a result, when the storm happens and things spiral completely out of control, my reaction is to fix it, to control it, to set it right.

And I am always going to fail with this approach.

The book of Job gives us a great example of how to deal with the storms. After losing his children, his wealth and then his health, we see this exchange between Job and his wife.

His wife said to him, “Are you still maintaining your integrity? Curse God and die!”. He replied, “You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?”. In all this, Job did not sin in what he said. Job 2:9-10 (NIV)

We don't try to control the good times or try to fix them.  Why then, should we try to control the 'trouble'?

Where we live, the legal age for a person is the age of 16.  Meaning, at the age of 16 they can choose to leave the family home.  The day after celebrating his 16th birthday with family and friends, our son told us of his wish to move out of the family home. No money. Nowhere specific to go.  He just wanted to go.

One week earlier, this news would have destroyed me.  I would have tried to fix it, to control it, to set it right. The confrontation would have been ugly and broken our relationship.

But just 4 days earlier I had been prepared for this moment.  So instead, we are trusting God.  We released him.  We told him that we love him and that he is welcome home anytime.

And we started praying:

"Lord, please give our son supernatural insight into the choices that he is making.  Choices that will affect his life here on earth.  Protect him from his choices.  Provide him a strong Christian influence that will draw him back to You.  Thank you Lord, we trust You."  

I have stepped out into the storm.



__________________________________________________

Thank you for taking the time to read one of the many Wandering Thoughts that God has been putting on my heart. If this has touched you in anyway, I would love to hear from you. You can leave a comment below and share your own personal revelations; or send me a personal message on Google+ or Facebook.

If you enjoyed this, please sign up here for email updates to never miss another Wandering Thought.

Have a wonderful day.


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I am glad you are giving readers a glimpse into your life. True and honest words from the heart of a real person can be a powerful thing when they are spoken by a one whom is led by Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ryan. You have certainly been an inspiration along the same lines.

      Delete
  2. I am a living witness that God will take the reigns now that you have released them, Peter. I was once where your son is now, and remanding him to God's custody is the best thing you can do; He alone is able and faithful. The Hound of Heaven won't give up. He alone is abiding shelter, strong shelter, through any storm. My prayers are with you. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "Hound of Heaven" - I love that! Thank you for your encouraging words Sharon.

      Delete
  3. This brought back so many memories.....will have to contemplate what God wants me to do with them! On another note, this did remind me of both of my daughters, who each decided they needed to "live their own life" much earlier than I wanted. It was a hard decision to let my older daughter move in with her aunt at 15 yrs old, but I knew it was for the best in our lives at the time. She was geographically only 3 miles away from me, but her heart was millions. I held onto the promise of 'Teach a child..and they will not depart from it.' It took 18 mos, but God brought her back around, good as new, and our relationship grew. That was 8 yrs ago. She has become a remarkable young woman. My younger daughter went thru a similar phase after she turned 18, where legally, I could do nothing. But, God had his hand on her all the time. She has now graduated college, serves in the Nat'l Guard (which she loves) and has just bought her first house, completely on her own.The Lord has also just called her into her own public ministry, which is in its infancy, but I know it will be blessed, and be a blessing to others. She'll be 22 in March. So,in keeping with the theme of Job, your child(ren) will return to you in God's time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are truly encouraging Rebecca. It is extremely to NOT treat him like he is still 6 years old and swoop in and fix everything. We have *very* limited conversations with him and it so pains us to see him in is own personal struggles. His desire to come home is there but his current influence is stronger. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Your story is an inspiration,It came at the right time .
    I needed some encouragement to continue my journey and God sent it through your story.May God bless you and your family I pray for Gods hedge of protection over your son.And that the strongest influence in his life will be the divine Holy Spirit. As for me I am learning to let go and let God take the wheel

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you've been encouraged by this! It is a blessing to hear that! Thank you as well for the prayers for my family and son. Blessings on you today my friend.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for including how you started praying about your son, and actually included the prayer. It's quite a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete