March 17, 2013

The Biker Lunch

Every lunch is an adventure.  I am always on the hunt.  Tracking what will eventually satisfy my desire for the day.  While it must be tasty, have been at one point breathing and also substantial enough to fill my rather large stomach, there is one requirement that can not be overlooked.

Confession # 1: I am cheap

Ah, that felt good to finally get off my chest.  So with that major requirement in mind, my daily hunt often takes me to Costco where I can find a big hot dog and unlimited drink for $1.58 (including tax).  It may not be the healthiest of meals but I do feel satisfied with my hunting experience.

The other day, my hunt brought me around to Costco.  I am sometimes concerned that there is over-hunting in this area as I encounter so many other hunters on their daily forage.  This day, the crowd was especially large.  After claiming my prize, I was required to jostle with others at the watering station and the dressing table.

It was no surprise that finding a place to sit was a challenge.  It often happens at Costco that I must share a resting spot with other hunters.  I surveyed the terrain and discovered only one available spot to share.

Confession # 2: I judge people by their looks

That confession hurt a little bit to admit.

The only spot available was with a biker dude.  Now remember, we are in February and we've got a few feet of snow on the ground but there was no mistaking what this guy liked to do.  With his long flowing mustache, skull cap, leather vest and matching finger rings and ear ring in the shapes of HD. He also had the scowl to go along with the Harley persona he was presenting.

But it was the only available spot and I had claimed my prize for the day, I must feast.  So I went forward to ask if I may join the biker. He looked at me as if I may be risking my life and grunted something that I took as "Go ahead" but could have easily been "If I dare".

I gladly took the seat and focused on completing my hunting experience by enjoying the spoils.

Normally at the end of my meal, I pull out my phone and start checking the various social networks that I belong to but something told me not to.

Instead, I asked the biker "Are you excited about riding soon?".

He looked up from his prize and all of a sudden, there was a transformation.  His eyes sparkled and he said he couldn't wait!

Small talk led to learning a lot about this biker: he bought his first Harley 12 years ago; he normally starts riding sometime in March; he is looking forward to riding with his son and plans to give his bike to him; the bike is completely paid for; he goes on multiple trips a year to various bike shows; he has a big trip planned with 30 other bikers where they ship their bikes to Nevada and spend 15 days touring; and he is retired.

A really nice guy that I had mistakenly judged prior to knowing ANYTHING about him.

Why do I judge people by what they look like on the outside and not by what they look like on the inside?  Do I want to be judged like that?  

It was time for me to head back to work.  I wished my biker friend a good trip to Nevada and a good day.

And then I saw another transformation.  He went back to being the gruff, sour looking biker but now I knew better.  And I noticed another thing.  For all the rings on his fingers, he did not have one on his wedding finger.  There was much more to his story than I knew or could tell by looking at him.

Isn't that the truth about everyone?

Do you avoid conversations with people because of what they look like?



__________________________________________________

Thank you for taking the time to read one of the many Wandering Thoughts that God has been putting on my heart. If this has touched you in anyway, I would love to hear from you. You can leave a comment below and share your own personal revelations; or send me a personal message on Google+Facebook or by emailing me.

If you enjoyed this, please sign up here for email updates to never miss another Wandering Thought.

Have a wonderful day.

10 comments:

  1. To answer your question...nope...I always talk to people no matter what they look like or think about me :)

    Good Blog Pete.

    Louis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a heart-warming story! Thanks for sharing it.

    I make a concerted effort not to pre-judge people, but I know I am not always successful. I can use all the reinforcement I can get and you supplied it today.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim! It is always good to hear that my inspirations connect with people and even better to hear that I'm not alone in my struggles! Keep on blogging Tim! :-)

      Delete
  3. I, too, tend to judge people by their looks. But I've been making a concentrated effort this past year to recognize that I'm doing it and pull back from the judgement. Now I find myself doing it less and less.

    Thank you for sharing your story! I find that some of those bikers have the most wonderful stories to share about seeing God's creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter ,
    I very frequently do it , judging people by there color , dress etc.. Do know its a wrong... From younger age started having my own perception about people by just there outer looks ... "Whats inside should matter not the outer looks" . Will pull back from this habit ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your honest reply. It is a struggle that I believe we all share regardless of if we wish to admit it or not. Thank you for reading and responding to the question!

      Delete
  5. I love this story, thanks Peter.

    We've ALL experienced this type of decision, but few would actually commit to the seat, and fewer would choose to not bring out the phone and engage conversation.

    Way to go man.
    BTW, I also favour the $1.50 Costco deal. It actually sways my decision if I go shopping with Tanya..."You goin' to Costco?"
    "Yes."
    "I'll warm up the van!!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen! And it's good to know that you treat Tanya so well! :-)

      Delete